2013-06-24

Miss who?

I spent about 25 minutes today setting right a grievous wrong and making the world a better place by helping to improve the veracity of our greatest store of factual information. By which I mean that I verified that Miss Buxley's name is actually Sheila and added a citation to the Wikipedia page.

Some ne'er-do-well had gone and changed the page to indicate that her given name is "Bux", which is plainly absurd. I knew the truth, but I couldn't just go changing it back without proof. That would just lead to an endless war over the Wikipedia page and possibly the universe. But it's surprisingly hard to track down anyone who actually knows (or cares) what her name is.

Google led me first to a couple of pages that mentioned it, but which had probably gotten the information straight from Wikipedia and certainly didn't bother to give any evidence to verify the claim, but then I stumbled upon the DailyINK trivia competition on Facebook. Earlier this year they confirmed it.

To be honest, they probably got their information from Wikipedia too, but since they're somewhat official their word is law and now her name is definitively Sheila, and no one can say it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment