2014-05-26

Melodrama Monday: So tell me, how long did it take you to fall in love with Jack?

Well, as we saw last last week, all Tommy needed was for Mary Worth to tell him to redeem himself and for Wilbur to exert some of his immense influence in the sandwich community.

Mary Worth, 2014-05-20.

"I told Tommy he has our support... but we want him to try to do the right thing!" says Mary.
"Your encouragement AKA guilt trip seems to be working!" says Iris. "He's making an effort!"

Meanwhile...

"I'm going to interview for a job as a janitor!" thinks Tommy, remembering how the prison guards used to force him at gunpoint to try to mop the floors with some sort of weird broom. "I suppose it's familiar territory!"

I'd like to point out again that the only reason Iris or anyone else thought Tommy wasn't putting in an effort before is that she kept seeing him on his laptop and assumed he had spent all day wasting time. For all she (and we) know he spent all day looking at employment listings and sending in résumés. And the reason he got this interview was nothing to do with his effort or lack of it, it was entirely down to Jerry owing Wilbur a favour. But sure, let's pretend that the lesson here is that it's easy to find a job if you just put in some effort, even if you're a convicted criminal with no education or experience.

And of course Tommy did get the job — after all, Jerry knows he'd be nothing without Wilbur. No restaurant can survive in Santa Royale unless it gets in the Good Eats section of the local paper, and the only way you get in there is through Wilbur. But the drama isn't over, because apparently Tommy is not sufficiently enthusiastic about his low-paying, menial, night-shift job to suit his mother. No doubt Mary will have to step in and help him to realise how his poor attitude is holding him back and this will lead to him being promoted to assistant manager or something.



Speaking of new jobs, June has just started hers in Rex Morgan, and her new boss has demanded that in addition to the job she agreed to do she also has to get a PhD. This new job was supposed to be a way for her to cut back on her workload during her pregnancy.

Rex Morgan MD, 2014-05-23.

"So, you'll keep your practice, teach for me, raise a family and get your doctorate?" asks Dr. Golden.
"Will the college pay for my doctorate?" asks June.
"Yes, every dime! Will you do it?"
"Yes, Dr. Golden, you have my commitment!"

So basically, June is crazy. Also there's some drama about Dr. Golden  making all sorts of changes that the existing staff don't like, but since we don't know any of these people I'm just not that interested in it.



And since we're on the topic of people I don't know (Carol) or care about (Tommie), let's talk about Apartment 3-G. Remember the woman in yellow who showed up last week? Her name's Carol and she's totally insane.

Apartment 3-G, 2014-05-25.

Morning at Jack's place...

"Hello?! Who are you?!" demands Carol, gesticulating wildly.
"I'm Tommie Thompson," says Tommie cheerfully, "and you are?!"
"My name is Carol. So tell me, how long did it take you to fall in love with Jack?"
"I hope you're kidding, Carol. I respect Jack, but I'm not in love with him."
"I really get under your skin, don't I, Tommie! If you're not in love with Jack... why do you work like a dog for him?"
"You could say it's therapy."
"So that's what you two have in common!"

Now, that's a Sunday recap strip so it does skip a bit, but I encourage you to read the preceding week, because it doesn't actually make any more sense even with the extra context.

No comments:

Post a Comment